sometimes giving names to things can help by leading us to focus on some mystery.
It is harmful, though, when naming leads the mind to think that name alone bring meaning close.
Marvin Minsky, TheSocietyOfMind (p27)
This page list the concepts I thought of without knowing their names. I consequently had to name them even before making a search of their existence.
Consequently I do not "claim" some form of paternity over them and merely list them here in order to more efficiently re-use them and avoid semantic drift.
It mostly illustrate my desire to explore new concepts but also aims at providing a way to see evolution of domains through the history page.
The point is coherent and useful usage, to provide strong affordances in order to go further.
Ideally those concept should become tools, not solely conceptual (descriptive) but directly usable as software or through other "embodiment" (praxis).
- statistical success
- that a task have an inherent unpredictable component that can influence the outcome regardless of the efforts put in
- consequently the sole consistent benefit expected should be learning that could lead to a higher chance of success the following attempt still without insuring success
- Biomimetics pace
- how long does humanity required to reproduce an object that evolved without engineer efforts
- one an expect this pace to augment, requiring less and less time as science and technology progress
- it is possible to take a phylogeny perspective but also on ontogeny perspective
- e.g. it took decade (thousands of man-hour) of robotics research efforts to reproduce the behavior of a 2 years old child
- inspired by WithoutNotesNovember11#ConnectorsModularRobots
- see also
- Universal Composer (UC)
- the simplest process (in the AIT sense) that can generate the most encompassing forms of compositions, thus maximizing expressive power
Gather context, eventually incrementally precisely as it can not be expected to be perfect, and intent.
Shortest description that can maximize expressive power by leveraging
- history of solutions in the target domains, ideally phylogenies
- drivers for actuators, including composite of actuators
- ability to map with medium or media would best serve the intent
- organized aesthetics rules
- generalist e.g. the golden ratio
- specialized e.g. cultural
Step by step process
- generating a string of values (linked with Chaitin and Kolgoromov)
- applying selective criteria
- using this values in any interpreter (music, cooking, coding, SDBK, robotics, ...)
- this values have to be interpreted as a process itself, not the final product
- check the result against the expectation, eventually adjust and iterate
Maximizing aesthetics/utility/efficiency while minimizing predictability by potential observers. Note that the intent and the observers can be equivalent but do not have to, the iteration of the process can make them match.
- description of the movement of an individual, organism or institution, amongst a body of knowledge
- illustrated by a vector in a geometrical space
Scientist as Trajectory
cartographic illustration by Andre Skupin
- as foundational perspective one can consider the most important action of epistemotaxis to be a change of cosmology, consciously or not
- changing radically the model of how an organism understands and thus interact with the world it is part of
- it begs questions like, what is the next piece of information I should acquire, what is the next skill I should learn, what is the overall direction and pace of what my society is discovering (e.g. Needs#EpistemologyAndResearchPolicies)
- this wiki with its structure, recipes, visualization, ... is most likely an accompanying tool for (hopefully efficient) epistemotaxis
- note that the process can be hindered in a multitude of ways
- consider the importance of feature selection in machine learning, not just of datasets (e.g. Seedea:Seedea/DATAmatrix ) but on what to include and work with and what is missing to generate the best model based on the available resources
- as of December 2010, only mentioned in a page of ElmerGates.com Home Page according to Google
- see also the definition of Epistemic actions page 71 of Supersizing (quoting Kirsh and Maglio)
- http://www.khanacademy.org/exercisedashboard with its graph structure and visualization, as used in MentalExercises, is a perfect example of this concept
- see also Infotaxis as a strategy for searching without gradients, Nature 2007
- inspired by Wikipedia:Trophallaxis discovered in TreeOfKnowledge and Seedea:Content/Newconcepts#Chemotaxis discovered earlier
- Compound information lag
- accumulation of delay one has before adopting a new piece of information or information technology based on his culture/education/economical situation
- if everybody get access to more information but some through their education are better used to process large amount of information thanks to tools, methodology and social network, it is an egalitarian access but in the end it advantages even more those prepared to it
- see also Cognition#EpistemicElitism
- inspired by a discussion on freenode/##philosophy at 10:30 19/10/2010 regarding the egalitarian web rising all the boats
- since we dont all get the same access to the Web, we dont get the same skills to access it, we dont have the same social network to share it with, etc even though this medium and the other to come might not be intrinsically inegalitarian, is the result egalitarian?
- the process of using an encoding specifically design to make the process of reversing the thinking pattern difficult to achieve
- discussed in #blinkenshell regarding knowledge management and the desire to keep a job despite efficient scripting, September 2010
- see also Wikipedia:Theory of mind regarding the usefulness of being able to correctly hypothesize what somebody else is thinking
- in particular in conjunctions with Wikipedia:One-way function in order to allow for collaboration without allowing for too much dependency or control
- cf The Need for Cognitive Privacy by Paul Root Wolpe, World Science Festival Video June 2011
- example ?
- mentioned during ParadigmShiftMeetings2011#Conclusion
- see the new field of adversarial machine learning with e.g. UCB J.D. Tygar and Microsoft Benjamin Rubinstein
- algorithmic epistemology
- algorithmic view that epistemology can be most efficiently described as an algorithmic process, a series of steps that once properly carried will inevitably lead to the creation of new knowledge
- most likely synonym to computational epistemology
- working on Innovativ.IT, September 2010
- example ?
- see also
- legislative routing protocol
- your information packet go through specific paths based on the legislation in vigor there
- discussed in #blinkenshell regarding LegislativeRouting and the increasing number of people using VPN especially because of new laws on copyright including in France, September 2010
- "He leveraged the legislative routing protocol through a software overlay using different machines in known geographic locations in order to keep his traffic lawful across several different countries."
- see also Wikipedia:Network neutrality
- Cognitive Drag
- Group theory of mind (aka "gToM")
- extending the theory of mind to a large group of individuals
- gathering and organizing the average cognitive behavior, thus including needs, of a large group of people rather than precisely one (initial understanding of ToM) or even just a few
- since inserted in a competitive system, done economically
- leading thus to an arm race to do so at the lower cost
- monetisers of media, according to AmusingOurselvesToDeath those have to make a selection of the content type that the largest audience can consume
- humorists touring around a country to tailor their jokes to a specific social, political and cultural context so that the largest part of their audience can appreciate their material
- LeanStartup by gradually estimating the existence of a market thus probing an increasingly large amount of potential customer to have an increasingly precise model of the mindset of customers
- LeanUX by gradually understand the behavior of users
- Facebook, Google, ... by monetization through reselling usage data
- education in which the teacher is always trying to maximize what the largest group of mine can learn within his or her time constraints, budget constraints, etc... thus leading to an optimization function
- financial system through markets
- script writer for books, TV, movies, etc
- potentially part of a boarder trend
- Inspired by StartupLessonsLearned2011#gToM
- Justification on the name
- previously considered but discarded
generalized as it implies that it could be used on any substrate rather than focusing on the size of the group
networked as it implies the underlying model
recursive as it is by definition recursive
global as it provides no fine grained analysis, either everybody is in or nobody is, in that sense "group" is not perfect either because it is very imprecise, it provides no idea of the scale
distributed as it is not necessarily the case
- See also
I tend to use few abbreviations that are not always popular, this list is just present here despite having been coined earlier because for most readers they can be encountered for the first time.
- add others
- extended homeostasis
- cognitive arbitrage (cf system/encapsulation poster)
- plenty in Cognition
- cognitive arbitrage (relative to decision making, programming and the ability to use the right function when required to do so while others are not able to, thus providing an opportunity to trade for it)
- keyconcepts in the livedoc programming repository
- definition of the mind as an economical function
- order by category
- use an automated method to
- find others
- display the number of results in popular search engines
- context of first usage
- example of usage
- see also