Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman - ISBN 0140094385 - Pengouin 1986
Reading yet another time the comics on Orwell/Huxley and how the later was right despite not appearing as gloomy as the former then discovering the Seedea:Content/Newconcepts#InformationActionRatio concept.
Draw a schema (using PmGraphViz or another solution) of the situation of the area in the studied domain before having read the book.
- 1 The mediums is the metaphor
- 2 Media as epistemology
- important remark that epistemology can not ignore the medium
- 3 Typographic America
- 4 The typographic mind
- 5 The peek-a-boo world
- 6 The age of show business
- 7 "Now--this"
- see News and discussion with Simon during a summer at his place on how one would make his own news journal
- 8 Shuffle off to Bethlehem
- 9 Reach out and elect someone
- mention of the specific role of the media counselor, probably requiring an efficient OwnConcepts#gToM too
- one is not constructing an image for the audience but rather of the audience
- a compelling image of themselves
- 10 Teaching as an amusing activity
- quotes of Dewey on collateral learning
- the importance of games, to go with the classical Latin quote panem et circenses
- 11 The Huxleyan warning
- mention of computer technology and that, once again, the important question about the social impact are hardly ever asked
- metaphor of doors closing and how through learning (but even through reflexes like other animals) we instantly know that something wrong is going on
- mention of Huxley's own warning on the epistemology of media
Overall remarks and questions
- several mention of the Global Village and in general McLuhan's work
- if epistemology depends on the media, is there also a selection of key work dependent of the medium of the time?
- consequently is epistemology itself linked (or even slave of) media technology evolution?
So in the end, it was about X and was based on Y.
Point A, B and C are debatable because of e, f and j.
Draw a schema (using PmGraphViz or another solution) of the situation of the area in the studied domain after having read the book. Link it to the pre-reading model and align the two to help easy comparison.
Back to the Menu