Copyright vs. Community by Richard Stallman at Center for Research and Interdisciplinarity, November 2010
#HASHTAGUNSET on Twitter, identi.ca, Live Cast, TwitterStreamGraphs, Collecta, flickr
Not the classical talk on free-software
- going beyond the 4 freedoms in software
Back to the Menu
Rather, can the principle be extended to "content"?
- what is the actual role and impact of copyright?
- history of the copying technologies
- changes with economy of scale (classical printing press example)
- resulting in political power shifts
- and now we are back to the ancient world
- mass copying is not that advantageous
- thus tome to question copyright at large again
- history of the emergence of "digital handcuffs"
- application of his own moral and ethical (even political) framework (4 freedoms + anonymity ?) by refusing to play music from musicians pressed on CD that do not respect this framework
- platforms of control
- Sony PS3 and remote updates, Apple AppleStore, ...
- examples specific to book
- Amazon "Swindle" (and 1984 remote deletion), Apple iPad, ...
- an attack on (literary) friendship in which sharing a book is fundamental
- "conspiracies" of companies boasting publicly about the agreements against the public usages
- overall numerous example on the opposition copyright holder and value creator and their relationship
- distinction between the "star" and the "normal" creator
- yet advertised differently (PR work)
Proposal : "Reduced Copyright System"
- 10 years of copyright from day of publication of the work
- first rough adjustment, can be lower
- based on discussions with author, example of scifi writer wanting... less
- limit the breadth of copyright
- work of practical use
- e.g. software, recipes, etc
- required to control your own life
- eq. to 4 freedoms
- work as other people thoughts
- e.g. memoirs, biographies, scientific papers, etc
- no derivative commercial use, no modification by others
- freedom to share
- work of art & entertainment
- which has a value by the impact it creates
- risk of losing integrity by modifications
- risk of losing significant contributions
- should allow remix if it does not denature the initial work
- review the repartition and mechanisms of the "Hype Industrial Complex" (publishers, majors, labels, ...)
- tax redistributing on a square root (log, etc) function of popularity
- voluntary payment
- mention of Francis Muguet and the Global Patronage System
- promote the freedom to share
- remarks on the cost of convenience
- see also "Il faut choisir, se reposer ou Ítre libre." Thucydide
- based on all those example, is making money equivalent to restricting freedom?
- existing solution to listen to music today?
- can we use the "cloud"?
- do not even use the "nebulus" word, SaaS overall is evil
- How to enforce the 10 years of copyright period proposed in the Reduced Copyright System?
- not with digital handcuffs
- Is there an entirely free stack, are you using it down to the hardware?
- what matters is open design thus documentation should be enough
- plus (and in contradiction with earlier point on mass production) we don't have the mean to produce "free" en masse computers
- consequently currently using a free BIOS (maybe http://www.coreboot.org )
- Campaign for Free BIOS by Peter Brown, FSF February 2010
- If I am developing a plugin for an aGPL platform, what license should it be?
- depends on the way the components are interacting
- What your view on IP?
- the expression is dangerous because it imply a possible generalization, patent law and totally different from copyright
- Do you think "bioware" can be patented? (example of possible DNA poetry)
- term is vague but overall one can not patent a naturally occurring sequence
- What is your position on trademarked names of project making GPL software?
- How to search freely?
- back to the question on SaaS and on the means you have at your disposal, use a free browser
- Would you accept a life-saving medical implant without it respecting the 4 freedoms?
- yes if it is no modifiable thus being equivalent to a circuit
- else no
- but it is too easy to say so now
Back to the Menu
- update my "ideology"
Back to the Menu
- own feeling of community fit equivalent to product/market fit
- thus the value in not staying static but exploring several communities
- because of MyBeliefs#B1 maybe I should consider his framework (4 freedoms) also as fundamental and more generally than currently
- see also
- reading notes
- IRILLDays2010 especially discussions with Massimiliano Gambardella
- Cooperation in network as an alternative for the knowledge creation. Example of Free and Open Source Software. by Inna Lioubareva, January 2010
- Content.Economy and Elinor Ostrom
- Richard Stallman: Copyright vs. Community (Greek Subtitles) 2007
- add my visualization of the locked-in model
- cf Graphviz