Recipes - Tools - Community and Events - References - Inspiration - To do
Periodically share a list of links one is interested in (a la http://www.instapaper.com/u ) to trusted friends (a la Wikipedia:360-degree feedback ) who can then vote for each (a la http://www.reddit.com/ ) to consume the top ordered list accordingly
- allowing free text comment or link to potentially better material
- in exchange for the time they spend on your list you also vote for their list.
- option "Add to my list" while voting for others lists
- Ordered list of decreasing font size
- actions per article : read (possible notification if upvoted by a trustee), delete
- identify criteria to sort (e.g. length, topic, medium, date of publication, author, institution, ...)
- can be used for ML too but without having a context, i.e. how the trustee perceive the user
http://fabien.benetou.fr:4567 (when available)
A proper information model matters because it allows through the important trends it distinguishes to provide a stable structure, an set of affordances on which one can add at a fast pace (hopefully in real-time or ideally to prepare even before they are acquired) and thus truly leverage news.
Reclaim the news
News is a process, not a product. One can never passively receive a flow of news but rather will always have to find, select, organize, put in perspective and analyze information.
- use "modern" tools to build your own flow of information
- list topics with activity today
- classify topic by activity, ...
- subscribe to a topic
- follow it day after day
- see related topics
- provide a visualization that displays "impact" news
- cost of maintenance
- bias viewpoint
- lack of external feedback
- thinking about Walden by Thoreau and my own position toward news
- reconsidering the new tools and datasets I know and the strategical importance of news in daily life, including the social aspect of sharing news
- learning about WikiLeaks "WarLogs" case
- the end of BlogLines.com
- overall SemanticWeb in order to tag and classify and connect to other piece if information in near real-time
- including OpenCalais.com and TextWise.com used on each page of the wiki
Community and Events