Discover as efficiently as possible new written material then be able to criticize it to properly learn.
Before actually reading consider the
- motive: exploratory, technical and utilitarian, pleasurable and emotional, ...
- well known links: how does it relate to previously discovered material?
- quality: has it been published recently? is the content itself based on recently published material? in which context has it been published?
- expected result: what questions should it answer? in what form can this be used? (new or updated mental model, notes, software, ...)
- costs: how long will reading it properly require? which basis are missing and should be first covered? how fast will the expect result deprecate?
Finally, what is its Information/Action ratio?
Once all this has been settled, set up the environment to most efficiently produce the expected results.
Methods and techniques
Notes on content